Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ups and downs along the way


Ladies,
Wow, we're trekking along, aren't we? I can't believe its October already! So here are some of my ups and downs from the past 7 days.
Last weekend, when Greg was here to visit, I talked him into doing the Clarendon Day 10 K with me (the picture was taken after the race in my apt.!). I wasn't sure how I would do and whether I was really ready to race yet, but it turned out ok! He was very sweet and stuck by my side the whole time even though I know he could have been running twice as fast if he really wanted! I do have to say, when I saw the 3 mile marker, I was like, "Why didn't I do the 5K instead???" Anyway, we finished in 1:03, which put us right at a 10:20 pace and I was happy with that. It wasn't the most scenic route and half of the race was on an interstate between the Pentagon and Reagan airport (all concrete, no pretty trees!), but oh well. I was definitely sore and exhausted after the race, but happy!
So, that was my high--now comes my low. After the race on Sunday, I only ran once on Wednesday (4 miles) and once yesterday (4.5 miles)!!! I will try to run again today, but I just can't bring myself to do 7 miles by myself. I am so stressed out about my comps--my deadline is in less than two weeks now, that I can't summon up the energy to go run that far!!! I am always so tired after runs and right now I need all the energy I have to push through this paper! I feel like I am doing two marathons at the moment and one is having to suffer while I finish the other.
Bleh. Any motivational words? Suggestions? Ideas? Next week I have a conference all week and it is very doubtful whether I can squeeze in my long run then, too. I hope after that things will get better after that though. Anyway, maybe this is like the 7 mile wall or something... who knows. How are your runs going???
Miss you girls lots and can't wait to see you!! Oh, I can book flights now, so that is definitely on my priority list. I think I will just fly directly to Memphis--I have a bunch of airports here in the area to choose from, so hopefully I can find a good deal. What time should I shoot for?
hugs,
Tessa

3 comments:

  1. Very cute picture, Tessa! Thanks for sharing! I am very impressed with your 10K time. (It's actually faster than you thought...more like a 10:10 pace...don't forget about those last 0.2 miles!) My time for the Peachtree this year was 1:08...a little disappointing!

    My training has actually been going pretty well. I've run 7 miles at a pace just under 11 min/mile, which I'm happy with. My low has been my knee issues (I don't want to say "injury" because I think I'm ok running). It was the worst in August, and now it doesn't hurt much. But I'm just constantly worried that I'm going to step wrong and hurt it again.

    As for your stress over training while you're busy studying--I would say don't worry about the long runs for now if they're causing you that much stress. You just ran a 10K, so you're already halfway to the half marathon distance. And you've run a half before, so you know you can do it. I would just pick back up with 6 or 7 miles after you turn in your paper. For now, use running as a stress reliever. It shouldn't cause more stress in your life! (Though I do know what you mean about being tired after long runs. After my first long run of training, I went to a yoga class. I was so tired afterwards that all I wanted to do was sleep all afternoon!)

    I am planning to leave Atlanta around 2:00 pm the day before the half marathon. My class ends at 1:40, and like I said, I don't want to ask my labmate to sub again after he's already filled in for three classes! I'll get on the road straight from Emory after class. It's a six-hour drive with a time change, so hopefully I'll arrive around 7 pm. You probably want to get in earlier than that, though. Toni and Jennifer, what are your travel plans?

    I have no particular plans on Sunday, so I can drive anyone to the airport at whatever time you need to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa,
    I'm not sure I have any motivational words, but I do think your stress is totally reasonable! You have so much on your plate right now, and you shouldn't be stressed about getting your long runs in. Plus, I know what you mean about how much a long run takes out of you for the rest of the day. My opinion is that you focus on your comps-ing marathon right now and don't give a second thought about running...especially since your PhD work is WAY more important than a run. You have a good running foundation now and it won't be a problem to pick it back up in 2 weeks when you feel a bit more relaxed! I know it will all work out...you'll do amazing on your written comps, oral comps, and the half-marathon...you're SUPERWOMAN!!---was that inspiring at all?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaah yes, thank you ladies, that was definitely helpful and kind of a relief to hear that things will be alright. Thanks for the words of encouragement--I am so glad we are all in this together. Thinking about you girls helps a lot in the process of getting myself motivated. I did go to the gym today and even though I only ran a measly 2.5 miles, at least it was something.
    Ok, back to the paper!
    t.

    ReplyDelete