Monday, November 2, 2009

Memphis Attractions

Hello friends!

So, I went to AAA and picked up a Memphis guidebook in anticipation of our weekend fun!!
A couple of things that peaked my interest were:

1. Beale Street Historic District- I think our run will be going through this area as well as the post- 1/2 marathon party!

2. National Civil Rights Museum - It's located at the Lorraine Motel which was the site of Martin Luther King Jr's assassination http://www.civilrightsmuseum.org/home.htm

3. The Peabody Memphis- I think it's a hotel that has the famous march of the "Peabody ducks" each day at 11am and 5pm. http://www.peabodymemphis.com/

4. Graceland- Elvis Presley's home-- It definitely costs money to tour his home and grounds, but they also have special decorations up for Christmas which I think would look beautiful...http://winter.elvis.com/events/

There are plenty of other sites in Memphis: Brooks Museum of Art, Zoo, Rock 'n' Soul Museum, etc... but I'm not sure how much we can fit in during a weekend...especially with a 13.1 mile race that's on our schedule! :)

Speaking of mileage...how did the 10 mile race go this weekend, Jenn and Annette? I was thinking you! We had guests over the weekend, and I never got my 9 mile run in! Ugh!! It's so hard to get motivated and run that far by yourself. We'll see what I get in today. Tessa, how is your foot feeling?...I hope you've been resting it!!!

Have a great week! Just about a month left!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girls, I am ALL FOR going to Graceland. It's the classic Memphis attraction, and I think it would be a lot of fun. However, tickets are $33 each (or $29.70 for Tessa and me with a student discount). I tend to think that it's worth it, but I won't be crushed if we don't go. I'm not really a huge Elvis fan, but I think that it would be awesome to visit Graceland!

    I think that the Peabody ducks sound fun too...do you need a reservation or just show up? We could stop by on Saturday at 5 if we're in the area...or on Sunday at 11 before we leave for the airport (I figure we should get there at noon for Jen's 1:35 flight?)

    ReplyDelete