Thursday, November 5, 2009

Kick it up!

Dear friends, sorry I've been MIA as of late! I gave an exam on Monday, so I spent most of the weekend writing it, and Monday through yesterday grading. Now I'm bracing myself for hate mail from my students about their grades...

Anyway, thanks Jen for posting that picture! Man, we were soaked, and that was not sweat! The rain was absolutely POURING around mile 7. After we finished running, we were soaked and freezing and didn't bother to cool down or stretch. OOPS! I was feeling a little stiff on Sunday morning, but I was better by Monday. The run went pretty well, other than the rain! I'm thinking I should be able to keep up the same pace, or possibly slightly faster, for the half marathon since it will be flatter and I'll have you girls to motivate me :) Anyway, here's the race results--Jennifer and I got 16th and 17th in our age group! :)

Which brings me to the title of the post. Our running coach's motivational e-mail of the week told us that for our last four long runs, we should take it easy for most of the run but push the pace on the last two miles. I've been picking up my pace on my own in the last mile of my long runs (the last mile of my 10-miler was 9:43!), but two miles will be a bit tougher. Just wanted to share that with y'all in case you want to try it as well.

All of you have posted such great ideas about Memphis, t-shirts, etc. I'm going to comment on those posts individually.

Oh, and my mom was so excited to finally be able to post a comment to the blog! She's been reading all along and finally got the comment function to work. So, hi Mom! :)

One month til Memphis!! Can't wait!! :-D

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with the 10 mile race. You all are hardcore...rain, hills, and an amazing time! Phew!
    I'll try to up my pace at the end of my runs. However, during my last long run, my knee and hip felt like they were going to fall off and I was practically limping! So...we'll have to see how my lower half cooperates. :)
    It's probably safe to say, I probably won't be running to set a PR...just want to finish! =) It will be a great weekend no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add that we had beer and bar food for dinner the night before the 10-mile race. We might be a little faster with pasta and water :)

    ReplyDelete