Saturday, September 12, 2009

Updates from NH!

Well girls....here is my long overdue update to our blog. So here goes....hmmm, where to start?! Anyways, it's been so great catching up with all of you at some point since June with Annette's visit to Maine/NH in June, then visiting with Tessa in DC in August, and then seeing Toni just last weekend in Fairmont over Labor Day! This is the first weekend in a month that I've actually been here in Manchester....after spending a weekend in Baltimore, then the following weekends in DC & then Fairmont. So as you may imagine, I haven't been totally motivated about running since I've been 'on the go' all the time. But I've tried to squeeze in running where I can....now it's just time to start running longer distances than 3-4 miles. I ran a few times in Baltimore/DC while I was there, but I didn't do any running while I was at home for Labor Day. Allan & I kept having intentions of running, but it didn't happen....we did go to a spinning class with my mom at the FGH Healthplex, so hopefully that counts as cross-training!

So if it would stop raining here in Manchester, I have the whole weekend to get caught up & started with some serious training. It's starting to get cold here too....I wore a fleece to work a couple mornings this week & it's been in the 50's/60's. So fall is on the way & I guess winter is right around the corner. I've run two 5K's since May, but I probably should sign up for a 10K run to force myself to jump right into more miles.

Do you girls find that you have more energy when you run first thing in the morning or later in the day/evening? I'm just worried that once the clocks fall back an hour & as it gets colder & darker earlier, I might have to change my later runs to early morning ones. But I am so NOT a morning person as it is....this could be a lifestyle change....haha.

As for other updates, I really need to dust off the ole Ipod nano & get some new tunes on it. So I'll probably work on that this weekend too. I'm flying to NC next weekend to visit Allan, then my friend Holly from grad school is driving up from CT the following weekend to hang out here in NH, then my aunt & uncle are driving up to spend a week in Mass/Maine so I'll meet up with them the 1st weekend in Oct, then Allan will hopefully fly up here the following weekend (we get Columbus Day as a holiday up here....AKA Canadian Turkey Day....go figure). So I'm excited for all of my upcoming plans again, but I just need to make sure to keep on track with running even when I'm so busy. I've been loosely following a version of Annette's schedule & I haven't gotten the more condensed running schedule from Runner's World that Toni sent me yet. So I'll have to check that out soon & try to figure out a real plan.

I bought new shoes earlier this summer, but I already feel like they've lost their cushion-y feeling really fast. What shoes do you girls swear by? Have you gone to real running stores to let them really figure out what really works for you? Also, how soon before the race will you buy a new pair to break them in but still not have something considered worn out of the race? I should also probably get some of that Body Glide stuff too....good idea.

Valerie & I have been sending back & forth a few Facebook messages this week, and it sounds like she may be doing the race in Memphis too. She said some people from her church group in Nashville were already planning to do it & she's been joining them on some of their runs. So I don't know if she's registered or what, but it will be fun if she does it too. I think I'm really jealous of Annette & Valerie's running groups....wonder if it's too late for me to find one? Although the 1/2 & marathon here in Manchester is early Nov....so any groups out there might be really advancing by now.

So I've been wondering a little bit about how this race will really work, since none of us have really trained together. Are we going to attempt to stay together? I'd probably prefer that, but I also don't want to hold anyone up who has a goal for a time, etc. Just curious. Right now, my only goal would be to run the whole thing & hopefully finish in less than 2.5 hrs. Also, I guess I'm most concerned about water stops & the need to use a porta-potty just before/during the race & I know Toni had mentioned some kind of gel snacks or something. I just feel so out of the loop when it comes to running tricks. When you've done longer runs, do you have any tricks for eating/drinking the night before or even just that morning of?

Well, that's all I can think of to write at the moment, but stay tuned for my "running story" that I've failed to write for so long. I plan to be more dedicated to this between now & the race! I seriously haven't fallen off the face of the earth.

Happy running!! :-)

p.s. Toni - when are you planning to book your flight? And Annette, you're sure that you don't mind picking us up in B'ham...as long as our flights are right around the same time?

3 comments:

  1. Great to read your message, Jennifer!!!

    Don't worry, I think we all fall into the slump on trying to get motivated...I know that I certainly do!!! I've put my running calendar on the refrigerator so that I see it everyday--that's a tad bit of motivation for me.
    Regarding times to run, I think I like to run in the morning better than the evening...for multiple reasons...#1 I get it over with and won't be dreading it for the rest of the day #2 I feel good about my exercise and somewhat pumped for the rest of the day #3 I haven't eaten a lot which I feel like weighs in my stomach. But...if you're not a morning person, then run in the evening...it's just harder for me to get motivated in the evening.

    Also, I was thinking about what you said about a running group. You may want to visit your local running shop. I know that Fleet Feet in Chicago had weekly evening runs that you could join in whenever you had time. (Plus it was free and a way to meet new people) While this isn't an official running group, it helped me to stay accountable for my maintenance runs during the week. Plus, they have routes mapped out in neighborhoods. Also, my first pair of running shoes did come from a running store where you get measured and they watch you run in them. I liked it because they told me if I pronated, supinated, etc and gave me a shoe size that allowed for my feet to swell a bit, which happens during a long run (at least with me). They put me in a Saucony pair which worked well and now that's the brand that I run in. I will probably get a new pair of shoes in late October, early November so that I have plenty of cushion for the half!!!

    Regarding the race...I would like to run together too if that's what everyone wants. I will totally not be hurt if you all want to run past me. My goal for this race is to finish, run the entire time, and hopefully try to finish in 2.5hours. If we do plan on running together, I probably won't talk much because I think my breathing gets all messed up when I try to talk...but I'm happy to listen to whatever conversations we have and I'll chime in every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    Like Toni said, its good to hear from you!!! :) I will echo a lot of what she said, too. I got my running shoes at this chain in DC called Pacer's and they also made me run in the store and when I told the lady I needed extra arch support and wanted something light, she pointed me towards Mizuno's. I really love them and they have worked out great. Before that I wore Asic Gels and liked them, too.
    As far as what to eat--definitely eat a good carb-y dinner on nights before the run, and on mornings before long runs I usually eat an English muffin with PB or a banana and have some juice. You don't want to eat a bunch--and def. no milk-based products like cereal or yoghurt. Tried that once and got soooo sick!! But yoghurt is a great post-run food, especially as a smoothie! I hear that proteins are good to eat after runs, so I usually make myself an omelette on Saturdays once I have finished a long one.
    And yes, I definitely want to stick together on the race! I ran my first half by myself b/c the girl I was running with ran a lot faster than me and it was definitely a challenge to run by myself. The important thing for me is that we run it together and cross together! Plus, we will have been doing enough training on our own. I am positive that we can all finish it in 2.5 hours!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! It's so great to read about everyone's running adventures! (And sometimes misadventures...hehe!) As far as shoes...my last three or four pairs have been Brooks Adrenalines. I got fitted for them at a local running store called Phidippides, and they told me that these shoes are really popular among runners--but really, shoes are very individual to each person's feet. I definitely recommend getting fitted at a running store. The shoes aren't discounted like you might find them other places, but they're not extra-expensive either. Salespeople at these stores are runners themselves and have a lot of expertise to help you find the best shoe for your feet and biomechanics. Now that I know what shoes I like, I look for them discounted online.

    I do run first thing in the morning, Jennifer, but I think that you have to be at work a lot earlier than I do! I don't like to run before sunrise, so lately I've been starting around 7:10 am. Once sunrise gets a little later, I'm not going to be able to run in the mornings anymore (or else I'll get to the lab super-late). At that point I'll probably just do my weekday runs in the middle of the day when I have some downtime in the lab (because it's dark when I get home too!) But I know that you girls with real jobs might not have that option! My best advice is just to do your best with weekday runs...run on the treadmill or fit it in whenever you can, but from what I hear, the long runs are far more important. So don't stress if you miss a weekday run every now and then!

    I am definitely up for running the half marathon together! It will make the race much more fun! I have been doing my long runs at around 11 min/mile or slightly faster...but I'm only up to 6 miles now. So I might get a little slower as the runs get longer. I think that 2.5 hours or maybe a little faster is a good goal, but of course since it's my longest run ever (Jennifer, you too?) my primary goal is just finishing!

    ReplyDelete