Saturday, August 29, 2009

Started training today!

Okay girls! 14 weeks until the big race! Have you started training yet? I officially started this morning. I woke up at 6:15, which was the earliest I've gotten up all week! Hehe! I met my running group at 7:30 and we ran an easy 4 miles (I ran it in 43:48).

I was surprised by how big the group was. I guess I was expecting 20-30 people, but it was probably around 100! The intermediate group left first to run 5 miles, then the novice group left to run 4. The coaches didn't put us into pace groups; they just told us to run easy so that we could carry on a conversation. There were plenty of people both ahead of and behind me, which was good! I didn't chat much with anyone during the run, except to ask one girl how she liked her running skirt. (Have you seen these or do you have one? She told me that I'd never go back if I switched!)

So, I've got an easy 2 miles tomorrow, then a rest day on Monday. (I appreciate that rest days are on Mondays and Fridays!) How is running going for the rest of you?

4 comments:

  1. I really don't get running skirts... I mean, you still have to wear "spanks" underneath, right? Don't they ride up? And isn't it extra hot with all those layers? And don't your legs chafe???? I think mine would...
    I don't get if the women are like these post-second-wave feminists who like to claim and re-state their femininity (like: I can run and look like a woman, too!), but I am sticking to my shorts, thank you. Sorry for the rant! But I really just don't get them...A few issues back "Runner's World" published a debate about it and it was interesting to see the responses. I will try to find it and post it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa, you crack me up. I don't really get running skirts either, for the same reasons as you. Rob thinks I should get one because I'll "look hot" (his words). I reminded him that I look like a hot mess when I run (see Peachtree Road Race pictures), and a skirt isn't going to fix that!

    There was a group of three girls who came together and were all in running skirts. The one I talked to had the kind with just briefs underneath. I opined that my thighs would chafe, but then I realized it sounded like I was saying she had fat thighs too. She said she slathers on the Body Glide to prevent chafing...but why? I don't chafe in shorts.

    And the other type of running skirts has bike shorts underneath. What's the point of the skirt--to look cute? Again, I am beyond repair when running. If I wanted to run in bike shorts, I'd run in bike shorts...no need for a skirt on top.

    So I guess I'm ranting too...I kind of want to get a running skirt and see what all the fuss is about, but I can't rationalize spending the money on something that appears to make no sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts EXACTLY! Especially about the bike shorts with the skirt over it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe...running skirts. Yeah, I've never tried running in one either. Never really had the desire.
    I do however still chafe in shorts! Ugh...my thighs just be a big pile of grossness. haha. I never tried Body Glide during my training before, but perhaps I will when we start climbing up to the higher mileage. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete