Monday, August 10, 2009

Losing weight

I don't normally spend much time thinking about my weight, but this is getting ridiculous. I tried on a pair of dress pants last night that fit fine last winter, and they were so tight. I looked like a sausage and felt even worse! Ugh! I guess that was the kick in the butt I needed to convince myself that it's time to eat more healthfully. Lately my diet has consisted of whatever I feel like eating, which is sometimes healthy but often not (and often more food than I need, as well).

It would be nice if I could drop five pounds or so, and specifically shrink my waistline enough that I'm not in danger of outgrowing all the clothes in my closet! So here's my plan: I'm going to drink more water, usually avoid bad foods (though I'm not giving up dessert altogether!), only eat as much food as I need to feel full, add one more day of weight training every week, and switch out one easy run per week for an interval workout on the track. I go crazy if I try to count calories...it's just too much work and makes me obsessive.

So, what do you think about my de-larding plan? Hopefully being healthier will help my running too! Please share any tips for eating healthy without going crazy. Sometimes I feel like French fries are just calling my name!

2 comments:

  1. I'd say I'm just as guilty for not watching what I eat as closely as I probably should. I go through spurts where I get a few healthy things at the grocery store & then I'm on a kick, then I eat out for a couple days in a row & I'm back in a slump. Anyways, I heard about this website & I subscribe to their daily "tips" & I even bought this cookbook at Wal-mart, so I'd highly recommend signing up for their emails & checking out some of their recipes. They always suggest a few new diet-y things that are available & tasty....my latest cravings include Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle bars, Smartfood white cheddar cheese popcorn, & I enjoy Cranergy Ocean spray drinks & Ocean spray powder that you mix in with water (a lot like Crystal light packets, but better....Cranberry Lemonade is my fav!)

    http://www.skinnycow.com/myproducts/bars.php?myflavor=truffle_choc

    http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/smartfood-white-cheddar-cheese-popcorn.html

    http://www.oceanspray.com/products/Cranergy.aspx

    https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=1&productId=666651

    http://hungry-girl.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi girls! Ok, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Every time I try to lose weight when I train, it somehow doesn't work. I actually feel hungrier when I train and know I will need the energy, so I go ahead and eat what I feel like. Annette, I think you're right about switching up workout routines and adding some strength training though. Strength training is a good way to burn calories and tone up--I don't think cardio alone with lead to dropping pounds.

    As far as food goes, I actually love to go and find healthy stuff, but my biggest vices are cheeses and salty foods--I think I don't have a
    sweet tooth!
    Good foods that I really like and that are great for runners (according to Runner's World) are blueberries, avacados, almonds, low fat yoghurt, broccoli, orange juice, whole grains, spinach, peanut butter, dark chocolate....
    Ok, now I am getting hungry... I might make myself some breakfast now...!!! Is anyone else addicted to coffee?! I know you're not supposed to drink a lot of it, but I can't help it... I am totally addicted!!!

    ReplyDelete