Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Running...say what?!

Similar to Annette, I was never a fan of running during my middle school/high school days. I too remember those exercise challenges in gym class. I was pretty horrible at all of them, particularly the running and the chin-ups! Growing up, swimming was my sport. I can remember during the high school season, we would have "dry training" which consisted of running, crunches, sit-ups, weights, etc... Granted, our coach didn't expect us to run all that much, but I could barely make a lap around our school without thinking that I was going to fall over. It was awful. Turned off by running at that point, I gave no thought to that sort of exercise throughout college. After undergrad, I joined a volunteer group and lived with 2 women who LOVED to run. One housemate had even run several marathons. Needless to say, I was pretty impressed; however, still not inspired enough to join these "running fanatics".
In September 2005, I moved to a city that is quite runner friendly...Chicago. Boasting it's beautiful lake front trail and "non-hilly" terrain, it was common to see runners out at all times of the day. Still---feeling no force pushing me to join in. Tessa came to visit me that fall, the same weekend as the Chicago Marathon. We watched the runners cross over the finish lane as fans cheered and camera flashes went off. There was such an incredible energy in the air that I guess stuck with me--perhaps, this was the beginning of my thoughts about running starting to change. It was sometime in early spring of 2006 that I stumbled across a flyer for the AIDS Marathon Training Program. I have an interest in AIDS research and care and thought that this could be a way that I could support the AIDS cause while possibly making some new friends. So, I went to the information session and was sold when they said that the training program was perfect for first time runners...phew...because I don't even like running! So, I signed up for my first marathon--Chicago, October 2006. I can remember the responses I got from people when I told them about my undertaking...."You're going to do what??" "Toni, you don't even like running." "Toni, do you realize how long a marathon is?" Not only had I signed up for a VERY LONG race, but I also committed to raising quite a bit of money!
I thought I would get a jump start on my new sport before our first group Saturday run that would require that we run a 5K in order for them to put us in "pace groups". I sure didn't want to look completely out of shape for that day, so I began running around my neighborhood. The training started off slow, but grew easier as the days went by. I can remember those Saturday group runs where we would increase our mileage week by week. After each run, I'd call my parents and yell "I just ran 5 miles, 8 miles, 10 miles and so on!" It was amazing how at one time I thought 3 miles was so long, but now I was running 10 miles without thought. Not that it was easy, but it became "do-able" as time went on. Plus, I was raising a lot of money, and couldn't back out when so many friends and family had donated to the AIDS cause and supported me! I did have some injuries along the way which made me a bit nervous as marathon day drew closer. Apparently, when you have big hips (like mine), IT band problems are common.
So, Marathon Day came! It was such an incredible day. I had a terrific "curb crew" cheering me on. (photos below) The race started off great-a little chilly-but great. It was around mile 16 or so that I really started feeling tired and not wanting to go any farther! But, as I said before, I had great people to cheer me on. Anyway, I finished---it took me a long while, but I finished! Definitely a very proud day in my life!
Anyway, in order to avoid making this post the size of a novel. My running life post marathon has been filled with very few runs. I think after training so much for the marathon, I kind of got burnt out--at least that's what I tell myself. I've run a couple of 5Ks but nothing that has become a running routine. I realize that I won't run unless I have a goal. So, I was thrilled when my closest friends said "yes" to joining me in running a half-marathon. Not only will it be a great reunion for the Fairmont girls, but a motivation for me to put exercise back into my daily routine.
So...that's my story...I look forward to creating many more running memories! Here's to the St. Jude's 1/2 marathon and a race with 3 great women!!! With that said, I better get off my bum, put on my running shoes, and get out the door...

2 comments:

  1. "Toni, do you realize how long a marathon is?" LOL. Great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do not have big hips!!! :p I loved seeing the pics from the marathon again! Brings back very good memories.

    ReplyDelete